Thursday, August 12, 2010

Shopping With The Locals [21/52] by Krysta


This is the only shot that I was able to get of the busy market in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania. I would have loved to have taken more, but I wasn't sure if the locals would appreciate it. I quickly snapped this photo as I was exiting the taxi and then put my camera away to do some serious shopping. We sampled local snacks and left with bags full of fresh fruit for ridiculously little money. It was great to leave the hotel and get to experience a bit of the culture, rather than heading to the tourist hot spots. It was amazing to see the differences in the way of life.... and the locals were just as amazed to see myself and an Australian girl... they stared as we walked from stall to stall, as they rarely see people of a different skin color. The few that spoke English greeted us warmly with "Sister!"... such friendly people, and such an amazing opportunity to catch a tiny glimpse of their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment